new conservatory roof
LEAMINGTON SPA CONSERVATION AREA
Planning Application for a new Equinox rood to an existing Conservatory in the Leamington Spa Conservation Area approved.
Following an initial consultation with the client and MH Plastics En-Plan: Planing & Architecture formulated and submitted a planning application to Warwick District Council that gained approval for anew thermally efficient Equinox Rood that replaces the existing glass roof and allow s for the conservatory to be enjoyed all of the year.
What is an equinox roof?
An Equinox tiled roof is a fully insulated conservatory roof. It achieves U-values as low as 0.15, which is approximately 10 times more efficient than an A-rated window. By minimising heat loss so effectively, it also helps to reduce your energy bills.
The History of Leamington Spa
Leamington Spa, often referred to as Royal Leamington Spa or simply Leamington, is a town located in Warwickshire, England. Leamington Spa's history dates back to ancient times, with evidence of early settlements in the area. However, it was primarily a small village until the 18th century. The town's transformation began in the late 18th century when local landowner William Abbotts discovered the potential of the area's mineral springs. In 1784, he commissioned the construction of the first bathhouse, which led to the development of the town as a popular spa destination. Leamington Spa gained prominence during the Victorian era as a fashionable spa resort. The town saw significant growth and development, with the construction of elegant Regency and Victorian-style buildings, parks, gardens, and promenades. The arrival of the railway in 1844 further boosted its accessibility and popularity. In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, Leamington Spa continued to expand both residentially and commercially. New neighborhoods and suburbs were developed, and industries such as manufacturing, engineering, and printing emerged. The town became known for its diverse economy and attracted a mix of residents, including professionals, entrepreneurs, and artists. During World War I and World War II, Leamington Spa, like many other towns in England, played its part in the war effort. The town experienced bombings and contributed to various wartime industries. After the wars, the town underwent post-war reconstruction and redevelopment. In recent decades, Leamington Spa has thrived as a vibrant and culturally rich town. Its Victorian and Regency architecture has been preserved and celebrated, attracting visitors and contributing to its unique charm. The town has developed a diverse economy, encompassing sectors such as software development, gaming, healthcare, education and tourism. Today, Leamington Spa is known for its attractive town center, well-preserved historic buildings, beautiful parks and gardens, and a thriving retail and entertainment scene. It continues to be a popular place to live, work, and visit, offering a mix of heritage, culture, and modern amenities.dudcation, and tourism.
The Leaminton Spa Conservatio Area
The position of the property in the Leamington Spa Conservation Area was the driver behind the need for a planning application . Leamington Spa became a Borough in 1875 and parts of the surrounding areas of Milverton and Lillington were incorporated. With the Town Hall new public buildings included the Post Office of 1870, The Theatre Royal in Regent Grove in 1882 (now demolished) and the Pump Room Public Baths which were added to the Pump Rooms in the 1890's. The facilities added to the Pump Rooms included Turkish Baths and slipper baths and all of these buildings are now incorporated into the fully restored Royal Pump Rooms which contains the Library, Art Gallery, Museum, Tourist Information Centre, café and fully restored assembly room (which is the original early 19th Century part of the building). In terms of architectural styles the early buildings were developed as stucco terraces being designed by the local architect William Thomas, including Lansdowne Crescent and parts of Bath Street. With the wane in the popularity of the spa town the next building period of the 1840's and 1850's resulted in a series of villas again using stucco detailing with an Italianate influence. The final significant building period occurred in the late 19th Century and early Edwardian period when a number of brick developments occurred significantly at York Walk and Priory Terrace where large semi-detached houses were constructed. Between 1851 and 1901 the population increased from 16,000 to 27,000. There was a gradual development of small terraced streets often being occupied by the ranks of people supporting the great houses, as in many cases servants lived out and these continued to be developed with the expansion of the town both to the south and north east of the town in the Shrubland Street and Tachbrook Street areas and Waller Street and Brownlow Street areas. To support the growth of the town there were a significant number of schools established in the town including fashionable establishments for ladies to the Leamington College for boys in Binswood Avenue. Numerous churches also were developed the most prominent being the growth of the Parish Church from a Medieval village church to a large Gothic building of almost cathedral proportions, largely developed by the Reverend Craig during the mid 19th Century. There are various non-conformist chapels and churches which remain in different guises in the town today, often retaining the classical stucco details used in the various residential areas. With the development of the town to the north of the river, Newbold Gardens was soon incorporated into the town as a public park named after Dr Jephson who is the figure most associated with the popularisation of the spa waters in the early 19th Century. A further park was established alongside the Pump Rooms now known as the Pump Room Gardens and further to the west Victoria Park was developed thus giving a green belt running right through the town centre from east to west and following the line of the River Leam. A permanent memorial was provided for Dr Jephson by public subscription in the form of a temple in the Jephson Gardens. The gardens have in the recent past been enhanced by the inclusion of a temperate house and the restoration of many of the original features in this very significant historic public park. The town continued to grow in the 20th Century and although not suffering from the level of demolition encountered by other Midland towns, other areas of smaller terraced housing were removed as slum clearance. In the town centre new developments have occurred at The Royal Priors Shopping Centre and Regent's Co
Conservation Areas: Are designated under Section 69 of the 1990 Planning Act which defines Conservation Areas as “Areas of special architectural or historic interest, the character or appearance of which it is desirable to preserve or enhance.” There are many different kinds ranging from whole town centres to squares, terraces and village centres as is evident from the different characteristics of each conservation area within Warwick District. Conservation areas may be designated by Local Authorities, the Secretary of State and English Heritage in London. Local residents can apply to local planning authorities to have their areas designated. The designation of a conservation area has several formal consequences as set out below. These are designed to protect the best qualities of the Conservation Area for the benefit and enjoyment of everyone. The demolition of most buildings is controlled, requiring conservation area consent from the local authority. It is always preferable to consult the Local Authority before carrying out demolition in a Conservation Area. Partial demolition is not always controlled and advice can be given on this by a Planning Officer at the local authority.at the rear of The Regent Hotel.
Heritage Impact Assessment and the Planning Application
En-Plan were abnpoe to conduct a Herotage Impact Assessment and submit this with the application to deomnstrate how the new Equinox Roof would preserve and enhance the character and setting of the Conservation Area. e proposal will mirror existing schemes in the locality and with the mitigation proposed the scheme can be accommodated in the Conservation Area whilst preserving and enhancing the character of it.
Considerable importance and weight should be given to the duties set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990, when making decisions that affect listed buildings and conservation areas respectively. These duties affect the weight to be given to the factors involved. Section 72 of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 requires that, "In the exercise, with respect to any buildings or other land in a conservation area [of any planning functions]…special attention shall be paid to the
desirability of preserving or enhancing the character or appearance of that area." Warwick District Local Plan Policy HE1 sets out the approach to assessing development proposals affecting heritage assets, in accordance with the NPPF. The replacement of the roof is considered to represent an improvement to the conservation area. The current roof is of a poorer quality than the proposed tiled roof, with tiles to match the existing dwelling. In addition to this the conservation officer has no objection. It is considered that the proposed extension complies with Local Plan Policy HE1.
The application was required due to the property being located within a designated Conservation Area and a Heritage Statement was also required and this explained how the proposal would preserve and enhance the character and setting of the Conservation Area.
If you would like to find out more about how our Planning Consultancy and Architectural Design Services can work in perfect sync to achieve a successful outcome in the planning system please CONTACT US and we will be only too happy to talk through any questions or development proposals you may have.
READ MORE NEWS
Variation of planning condition creates additional bedroom.
En-Plan: Planning & Architecture have had a planning application approved that varies the approved plans for a new house in order to create an additional bedroom thereby increasing the value of the property and potential rental yield. Refer to our dedicated Variation of Planning Conditions page for further information
New 7 bed HMO receives approval in Greenfields, Shrewsbury.
En-Plan: Planning & Architecture have received approval for a new 7 bed house in multiple occupation in the historic Greenfields area of the town, following extensive negotiaion with Shropshire County Council.
Planning Application approved for new residential annex in Birmingham.
En-Plan: Planning & Architecture have received planning approval for a new detached residential annex and home office in north Birmingham. The approval adds flexible accommodation and the ability for hoe working to the property. Please refer to our Residential Annex page for more examples of successful extensions.
New off road parking scheme receives approval in Shrewsbury.
En-Plan: Planning & Architecture have received approval for an off road parking scheme in the Monkmoor Conservation Area following negotiation with the Highhay Engineers at Shropshire Coucnil.
Building Regulations Application receives approval in Shrewsbury.
En-Plan: Planning & Architecture have received approval for a Building Regulations Full Plans Application for a new kitchen and lounge extension in Copthorne, Shrewsbury. The approval allows the owner to progress the project with an approved build specification which will ensure the success of the project.
New rural housing granted approval in Montford Bridge, in Shrewsbury.
En-Plan: Planning & Architecture have received approval for a replacement rural dwelling in the Shropshire Countryside following negotiation with both Shropshire Council and the Highways Agency.